Services and Support

It’s OK to ask for help. As we work through this together, there are people and agencies able to support you. Here’s a range of advice, help, or support if you need it.

In an emergency
Call 111 for Fire and Emergency, Police, Ambulance or Civil Defence.

For health advice

It’s as important as always to get medical support if you’re unwell. You don’t need to wait. Call your Doctor, or contact Healthline for free health advice and information provided by trained professionals. Phone 0800 611 116, or take this link

For health advice about babies or children Call Plunket to speak to a Plunket nurse

PlunketLine is a free parent helpline and advice service available to all families, whānau and caregivers. Phone 0800 933 922.

For mental health or addiction support

However you feel, there’s someone to talk to if you need it. Call or text 1737 to talk to someone trained to help, or take this link

For specific help, you can contact the Depression Helpline or Alcohol Drug Helpline on these numbers:

0800 111 757 (Depression Helpline)
0800 787 797 (Alcohol Drug Helpline)

For support with family violence or sexual violence

It’s okay to leave your bubble to keep yourself or someone else safe. If you need to leave, help will be there.

Call 111 (Emergency Line) if you or someone else is in immediate danger of being harmed or may harm themselves.

Find local social support services in your area, call the Family Services 211 helpline, phone 0800 211 211. Or take this link

Call Women’s Refuge for advice, support and safe accommodation when you’re dealing with violence in your life. Phone Women’s Refuge on 0800 733 843.

Call the Elder Abuse Helpline for a free service that older people can contact if they or someone they know are experiencing elder abuse. Phone the Elder Abuse Helpline on 0800 32 668 65

For concerns about the wellbeing or safety of a child

Call Oranga Tamariki if a child or young person is unsafe, not being cared for, or separated from their parents or caregivers. Phone Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459. Or visit the website at this link

For temporary accommodation

Contact the Temporary Accommodation Service if you urgently need a place to stay. Phone on 0508 754 163, or take this link

For renting and tenancy advice

Contact Tenancy Services for information about your legal rights. Phone Tenancy Services on 0800 836 262, or take this link

For access to food or essential items

We all need food and essential items such as medicine, so please don’t try to go without. There are plenty of ways to get this to you.

Talk to your support networks like family, whānau, friends, iwi and neighbours to see if they could deliver essential items to you.

If you don’t have support networks, or they are unable to help you, you can order groceries online from some stores. Online options include:

  • Countdown: assistance
  • New World:
  • Student Volunteer Army:
  •  Civil Defence and Emergency: If the options above don’t work for you, or you don’t have internet access, you can contact your Civil Defence Emergency Management Group to deliver essential items, including:
  • Food
  • Water
  • Groceries
  • Pet Food
  • Medication
  • Cooking
  • Fuel
  • Clothing
  • Bedding

Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups

Northland – 0800 790 791
Auckland – 0800 222 296
Waikato – 0800 800 405
Bay of Plenty – 0800 884 222
Tairāwhiti – 0800 653 800

Taranaki – 0800 900 077
Manawatū-Whanganui – 0800 725 678
Hawke’s Bay – 0800 422 923
Wellington and Waiarapa – 0800 141 967  Nelson – Tasman – 0800 50 50 75
Marlborough – 03 520 7400
West Coast – 03 900 9329
Canterbury – 0800 24 24 11
Otago – 0800 322 4000
Southland – 0800 890 127
Chatham Islands – 03 305 0033 ex 715

For farming support

Contact your local Rural Support Trust. They can point you in the right direction for the support you need. Phone the Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254.

For animal welfare matters

Call the Ministry for Primary Industries for animal welfare concerns and enquiries and to report cruelty on 0800 00 83 33.

For employment advice and support

Know your rights as an employee and keep yourself safe.

Contact Work and Income if you’re looking for work or have a vacancy that needs to be filled. Phone 0800 779 009 (Work and Income’s Job Search line); or take this link

Contact Employment NZ or visit their website for information on your rights as an employee. Phone 0800 20 90 20 (Employment New Zealand), or take this link

Contact Worksafe for information on working safely. Phone 0800 030 040 (Worksafe) or take this link

For financial support

If you are struggling financially, it’s ok to ask for support. Visit the Work and Income website for financial support for emergency and ongoing needs, and take this link

You can apply for a main benefit online and check your eligibility for food assistance. Take this link

Or you can phone:
0800 559 009 (MSD General Line);  0800 552 002 (Seniors 65+);
0800 88 99 00 (Students).

If you are Deaf or hard of hearing you can contact Work and Income by:

text message: 029 286 7170;
fax: 0800 621 621;

For further information on other support

There are several organisations working to make sure everyone is looked after. Visit the Unite Against COVID-19 website at this link

Or contact the New Zealand Government Helpline by phoning the free-calling number 0800 779 997, or follow this link

This information is taken from the COVID-19 website, which is updated regularly. It is current as of 1 May 2020.

Latest News